Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And the Board Says

APPROVED!

I am not going to lie, and for those of you who are close to me already know, I was a nervous wreck. I didn't think I would be, but sometime around Monday I started getting anxious. I got a headach and new good and well, stress of board approval was at hand. We started this whole rollorcoaster to foster to adopt late December. It was around that time we imagined ourselves adopting. From there it grew into picking agencies, filling out applications, more than one, trying to decide what route to take. It was January 7th we went to an orientation at Depelchin and decided to go thru CPS to adopt. It was January 15th we sent off our application and have been charging on ever since. From approval after approval. Deeming ourselves worthy of parentdom. Class after class, form after form. Cleaning our house, conditioning our mind and attitude and finding out alot about ourselves in the process only to finally end up with our file in "The Boards" hands, yesterday, Tuesday, June 10th 2008 at 3:30 pm. Our home study worker Michelle, was our voice at the meeting. She presented us to the board and luckily they liked it. They liked us, they said "yes". They had their concerns and she addressed them. She had one more question and asked us. We are approved. I feel so relieved. I feel so thankful, I feel confirmation in our steps towards adoption. This is what we are supposed to do. This is where are are supposed to be. Approved to foster to adopt.

So since I am all about detail, here are yesterdays events.
I went to work, Jeff went to work. We waited. Michelle told us to call her Tuesday, but I had no idea when our meeting would be. So around noon, my heart pounding out of my chest, I called her, she is on speed dial...lol, I can prob remove it now. She picks up and laughs, it's not til 3:30! UGH! I am impatient and she knows it. She said it will last awhile and to call about 5:30. I feel bad, honestly, to bother her at all. I am sure she gets these calls from people going thru home study and approval, at least thats what I tell myself to excuse my actions. So I go back into work. I read blog after blog, peoples stories of adoption. It somehow makes me feel MORE anxious. Thinking surely we will be okay, but what if????? What if they say no? What are we going to do then? So then 5 rolls around and I get off work. Jeff is on his way home, from the Dr.'s office. Michelle calls around 5:10. This is Round about how the conversation went.
*****************
Her "Im calling from my home phone because
my cell phone is possesed"
(HA HA I love it, plus she knows good and well I saved her # to my phone)
Me " Ha ha, (nervous gitters wondering what the
outcome was)
"Silence"
Her " You there?"
Me "Oh yes..."
Her, "Ok, you are approved, BUT they
have one concern."
Me,"OK, but we are approved right?"
Her "Yes but they have a question"
Me "Um okay"
Her " They want to know, if you get a multi-racial or AA
baby, how will you address that?"
Me "To the baby?"
Her "Yes, like do you have
any AA friends they would be able to be around and
relate to?"
Me" Well Beka, who is one of our references,
(knowing she knows Beka as a reference
because she was talking last time
about how awesome our refrences are
and plus she looked up Beka's address
so I can put her down as an emergency
babysitter. FYI Beka. lol)
and her husbands sisters husband, (i know this
sounds funny) is AA and their baby
Chrissy is mulit-racial and they
live next door and so we know them"
(I know we see them far and in between but Geesh we live
in Huffman, there is not alot of AA's in Huffman)
And then I went on mummbling about all the AA people I had ever known and she laughed because I sounded rediculous. ha ha
Her "Well thats great, I will put that down,
correct some things in your study paper
and then your good to go. You don't have to worry about that because
its just we turning it back in. It happens alot
and is very common"
Me "So we are approved right?"
Her "Yes, you are approved, with flying colors"
Me" YAY"
Her "Yay"
Me "Thank you so much"
Her" No problem, the only concern I really addressed
would be the fact that your so young. I told the board
if they just read your file you would appear to be young
but you don't act young at all. So that is the only concern but
it's not really a concern at all. "
(Something else about her telling the board
" if they were 32 you wouldn't have a problem with
them at all if you saw the file."
The Board "So you saying if they were 32
you wouldn't have a problem with them?"
Her "I don't have a problem with them now.
I am just saying if you just read the file
you would only read that they were 25.
And to some people that looks too young
I am telling you, they are not"
Yay for awesome Michelle !!!)
Me "Thank you so much,
now... what about the fire inspection?"
Her "Oh yes, get that done."
Me "And what happens from here?"
Her "Your file will go to Emily (the home study recruiter)
who will assign it to a social worker and then your
social worker will contact you soon to come
by and do the matching process"
Me " So we are approved right?"
Her "Yes you are approved"
LOL J/K
Me " Thank you so much"
Her " Your welcome, you guys
are going to be great parents"
THE END
So that's about all I know so far. Today I am going to try and swing by the Fire Marshall's office and sign up for a Fire inspection. Yay us!

3 comments:

Beka said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Congrats!!! I"m so happy for you!!! Love you guys. WOOOHOOOO

Lorie said...

Oh Im so happy for you guys!! And girl, if it happens to be an AA baby then by all means we could help you with that. If not, you can still come over and we can do mommy stuff. We need to get together anyways so you just plan on it, ok!

London's Mommy said...

Okay, so I am nervous again. What if they have concerns about us being too young too??? CONGRATS AGAIN! I am so going to get us teeshirts that read "Pregnant on Paper" IF the board likes us tomorrow.